Sunday, January 2, 2011

Time Dilation

Jan 2, 2011

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the LORD a day is like a thousand years, a thousand years like a day. Peter 3:8

Well so much for discipline. A brand new year and I was determined not to lose control of my day. The whole morning stretched out before me. I was going to take a walk in the sun and look for the presence of God in the peace of a sleeping neighborhood. Just as soon as I: went through my e-mail, paid the bills, updated my art pages, uploaded the holiday photos, put dinner in the crock pot, vacuumed the floors, cleaned the fish tank and of course worked on my next painting.

Hah! As usual, I ran out of day, couldn’t get the pump to work right, never got half-way through my list before the clouds rolled in and the sun (if it had been visible) had set. Is it just me or are the hours just a lot shorter than they used to be? I need some time dilation. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to step out of time for a bit? I know that with the Lord a day is like a thousand years. I just need to slip an hour or two between the seconds; to get that walk in the sun when I was finally finished and ready.

But as my husband and I trekked around the park in the dusk watching the geese coming down to roost, I realized that God was there all along. Telling me that only one thing was needful. No one could take that from me but me. So I’m here now, Lord, the floors can wait. For this moment, I’m seeking you first.

…but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:42

No comments:

Post a Comment