Saturday, January 1, 2011

In the beginning, God...

In the beginning, God… started the universe. I don’t know how or how long it took, but I firmly believe he spoke everything into being. Along with Jesus, the Word, Logos, the part of him that would become one of us. As well as the Holy Spirit that brooded over creation like a mother hen; covering and protecting her chicks with her wings, overseeing the work of creation. Somehow, it all “came together” an intricate interaction of the trinity that resulted in the dance of quarks and gluons held together by forces too wonderful to comprehend. (Except, maybe, for Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.)

Ok, maybe Stephan Hawking and company are close to understanding how everything works, but sometimes I think all the physicists are just making it up as they go along and the rest of us have no idea what they’re talking about so we wouldn’t know anyway!

Equally incomprehensible to me is that God wants to be with us and us with him.

When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,4what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? Psalm 8:3,4

And yet he says so:

The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"--which means, "God with us." Matthew 1:23

So in the beginning of 2011, I’m beginning “A Year With God”, Living Out the Spiritual Disciplines. The premise is to live life with God—abundantly as Jesus promised. Day one starts by looking for God in the world around me. Perhaps in the beauty of the natural world, or an encounter with a neighbor. We’ll see and I’ll be looking.

Father God, open the eyes of my heart that I might see you today. Fill me with your Spirit that I would reflect you to those around me and so glorify your Name. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment