Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Grace in the OR

Grace in the OR

Ok, I’m not performing brain surgery, but I still obsess over drug dosages for anesthesia and pain control. I may be doing an ovariohysterectomy in a cat or extracting molars from a dog, but I’m watching the monitors and fluid rates like a hawk. Each patient is someone’s “baby” and for those moments, they’re mine too. So I ask the God who knows when even a sparrow falls for help.

In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation Psalm 5:3

For the big ones like the 130 pound Newfoundland that jumped out of a moving car window and broke her leg a month ago. The local referral surgeon put her leg back together so all I had to do yesterday was clean her teeth, take x-rays to check her healing and change the bandage (and large molded splint) that kept her from disaster. Because she is one big, happy, goofball, whose goal in life is to jump up, knock down and cover with wet, sloppy kisses anyone within her reach. It took three of us to get her up onto the surgery table and we all needed chiropractic adjustments after positioning her to get everything done. Ten pound “Oliver” was much easier to maneuver and we mainly had to watch “Musya” during recovery because she is such a tiny cat she tended to disappear under the blankets.

I prayed for God to bless the work of my hands and give me wisdom as I scrubbed in and to watch over us all until everyone was safely awake and comfortable. And he did. For which I am filled with gratitude.   

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. Psalm 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment