Saturday, January 22, 2011

Glimpses of Glory

Jan 22, 2011


How often do I notice the still, small voice of the Spirit? I determine to spend time reading the Bible or meditate on a remembered verse. I start to pray. How long before I am distracted and move back to worldly pursuits. I feel myself glimpsing the glory of God for just a moment and then it’s lost. I look up and see the stars of Orion burning intensely in the night as I take out the trash.

I marvel for a moment at the nature of that light (wave or particle?) that traveled so long to reach my eyes. For a few heartbeats I think of the One who set them in the universe by the power of His voice. Who formed the pattern that captures my attention and holds all things in stability or dissolution by the weak and strong forces and the power of light.

And then, because it’s cold out I have to go inside. Have dinner. Watch television. But however strong the pull of the world, I will remember

he who made the Pleiades and Orion , who turns blackness into dawn and darkens day into night, who calls for the waters of the sea and pours them out over the face of the land-- the LORD is his name—

And I will praise Him!

 (By the way, don't make yourself crazy trying to see the constellation, Orion, in the above picture. I couldn't find one not under copyright, this is a detail of fireworks just to set a mood--use your imagination or just go outside on a clear night. Orion now rises in the east after sunset in northeast US. The Pleiades sit higher in the east above Taurus, the sideways "V" shaped bull and towards Casseopeia in the north.)

No comments:

Post a Comment